Kingdom Hearts Forums - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania: IGN: "Kingdom Hearts Sucks (But it Doesn't Have To)" - Kingdom Hearts Forums - Kingdom Hearts Ultimania

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

IGN: "Kingdom Hearts Sucks (But it Doesn't Have To)" by JC

#1 User is offline   Ryusuke 

• Throughly Disappointed
  • Group: Site Staff

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:08 AM

Jack DeVries, of IGN, has today posted a critical column regarding the direction and quality of the Kingdom Hearts games of late. He addresses some universal problems, as well as some that many fans are bound to take issue with. At the same time, those who've been critical, or even neutral of the series have taken part in the exchange to offer their thoughts.

"After a decade, two main games, and four spinoffs, Kingdom Hearts has solidified itself as an RPG juggernaut. A cross-platform, cross-universe, East meets West monster of a game. And after learning about Keyblades, princesses, and this Ansem guy, one thing has become abundantly clear:

Kingdom Hearts, as a story, totally sucks.

Not saying the games as a whole suck. In fact when it comes to pacing, battle systems, and core gameplay, pretty much everything except the platforming mechanics, Kingdom Hearts shines. But then you try and explain the story out loud and all that comes out is a garbled mess of emo kids and Orlando Bloom cameos...(PLEASE FOLLOW THE LINK TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE)"

The staff of Kingdom Hearts Ultimania will always choose to be neutral in such heated debates, but at the same time, we encourage all our readers and members to voice themselves! Be sure to hop on over to the article's comment section, and sound off on what you think. But keep in mind: "Sound off" equates to using our inside voices. It's both extremely rude, and makes the community and fanbase as a whole look generally bad if people start all-capping obscenities, so please keep it civil if you choose to participate, and don't forget that those are all opinions, and as opinions, be sure to respect them.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ARTICLE

Source(s): IGN

#2 User is offline   KingdomKeyBladeWielder 

• Keyblade Wielder
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:04 PM

IGN, i am disappoint!

#3 User is offline   Ryusuke 

• Throughly Disappointed
  • Group: Site Staff

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:24 PM

Now, I can see why they're critiquing the story, I do that too...a LOT, but...that title is an incredibly cheap way to get attention. :mellow: I mean, they acknowledge they're good games, too. It's misleading. Talk about the story, say it in the title. It's freaking Kingdom Hearts, of course you're going to get readers. :/ You just bait unnecessary hate and drama this way. Unless if they wanted that to happen...guess I can't argue with those results. But, otherwise, yes, he does make some good points.

Also...awesome banner. XD

#4 User is offline   Hun Dark Riku 

• zombie in clever disguise
  • Group: KHU Committee

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Have to admit, he makes some good points.

#5 User is offline   Sorange 

• The Flurry Of Dancing Flames

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:49 PM

I understood their point of view until they compared KH to Twilight.
Madness. ABSOLUTE madness!

I have to agree though. The story isn't confusing to fans because we've been keeping up. It's incredibly confusing to someone who's only played the first KH (or none of the games). I tried explaining (something I will never do again) the story so far to a friend and I've never been so bombarded with questions in my life!

#6 User is offline   Captain Hazama 

• "The true successor to the Azure Grimore"

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

Well, I think the story sucks (which it does'nt) because Disney is trying to make it easier for the player to apprehend

#7 User is offline   Rob 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:47 PM

"Go to firetrucking Kingdom Hearts already."

LMFAO and this is why they are IGNorant.

#8 User is offline   Captain Hazama 

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

lol. they are just mad for being IGNored by Gamespot right now. lol

This post has been edited by LoveIsOver: 28 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

#9 User is offline   Rin Uzumaki 

• Weakling

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:24 AM

IGN dosen't know what there talking about,kingdom hearts is a great series.if anything there just haters

#10 User is offline   Tsubasa Uehara 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

Yes, Kingdom Hearts is a great series. To me, every Kingdom Hearts games always connects with one another.

#11 User is offline   Rob 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Exactly, those who don't understand just don't understand it.

#12 User is offline   Tsubasa Uehara 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:51 PM

Yep.

#13 User is offline   Rob 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:06 PM

Good thing I understand.

#14 User is offline   Baks 

• Dragon Champ

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I can semi understand that the storyline may seem confusing to new time players of KH but to not to KH veterans who played most of the games in the series like me.

Anywayz IGN have long since lost credibilty as a review site. I take what Gamerankings say about a game's overall review score more than IGN's biased crap. XP

#15 User is offline   Strider 

• Best in the World

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:42 PM

Although I will agree with some points, this is IGN we are talking about. In my opinion they long lost credibility as a reviewing site when they gave Godhand a 3/10 and the reviewer only played the first level. But hey, to each their own. Just give them another Call of Duty and they'll be fine.

#16 User is offline   Glo 

• Wooden Sword Wielder

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:33 PM

The kingdom hearts story is only confusing If you haven't followed it from the beginning. It would be cool if it was a little darker but that won't happen because it is still a Disney game

#17 User is offline   Sorange 

• The Flurry Of Dancing Flames

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:36 PM

Actually, KH has some dark underlying themes but they're very easy to miss. It can also depend on interpretation.
Anyway, I stopped paying attention to IGN years ago. They lost my interest.

#18 User is offline   Captain Hazama 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

View PostSora Angel, on 03 March 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

Actually, KH has some dark underlying themes but they're very easy to miss. It can also depend on interpretation.

Same here and they're walkthroughs and reviews of games suck....

This post has been edited by LoveIsOver: 03 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

#19 User is offline   sakuchan 

• It's time to kick ass n' chew bubble gum
  • Group: Moderators
  • Location:Traverse Town Hotel. I charge $120/night for the Green Room

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Wow, look at the deluge of comments rampaging against IGN on their own commenting thread.

I'm not sure that they deserve all the slaps to the face on the account that I didn't take the article at face value. In fact, I don't think this was the writer's intention. I found the article oddly amusing because of the flippant tone (yea, I laughed at various points of reading). He specifically picked on points that we all recognize and can appreciate the irony of to a certain degree. Cases in point:

Don't introduce any more pouty effeminate male characters who turn out to just be Sora, or Sora's Nobody, or Sora's heart. Stop it. They can't all be Sora.

You can see both at work in worlds like Atlantica, where dolphin merman Sora helps solve the issues of Hans Christian Anderson's misogynistic cautionary tale by… singing terrible songs about fins.

He never bothered to delve very deeply into his criticisms at all or present balanced views, preferring to end a paragraph with some snarky humour that can easily be interpreted as an attack on the series, but really, sounded more like he was poking fun of a renowned series. I bet FF and Resident Evil ("Take this gun, you can shoot things with it.") get a lot of flak too, but you don't see people flaming all over the boards about it.

#20 User is offline   Rob 

• Dual Keyblade Master

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:55 PM

View PostSora Angel, on 03 March 2012 - 06:36 PM, said:

I just read IGN to get a good laugh.

#21 User is offline   Captain Hazama 

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

View Postsakuchan, on 03 March 2012 - 09:45 PM, said:

Wow, look at the deluge of comments rampaging against IGN on their own commenting thread.

I'm not sure that they deserve all the slaps to the face on the account that I didn't take the article at face value. In fact, I don't think this was the writer's intention. I found the article oddly amusing because of the flippant tone (yea, I laughed at various points of reading). He specifically picked on points that we all recognize and can appreciate the irony of to a certain degree. Cases in point:

He never bothered to delve very deeply into his criticisms at all or present balanced views, preferring to end a paragraph with some snarky humour that can easily be interpreted as an attack on the series, but really, sounded more like he was poking fun of a renowned series. I bet FF and Resident Evil ("Take this gun, you can shoot things with it.") get a lot of flak too, but you don't see people flaming all over the boards about it.

Well, this IS the KHU forum, where we treat the KH series like our own child. Joking or not, some people actually flame a post even if it was one comment. Writing a whole article on how KH is bad is like trying hurt our baby to some people.

#22 User is offline   Glo 

• Wooden Sword Wielder

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

I still like to read some of the IGN articles. They're good for a couple cheap laughs now and then. I even have the IGN app on my phone.

#23 User is offline   Strider 

• Best in the World

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

Yeah a good bit of their articles aren't bad but their reviews are not that good.

#24 User is offline   blinkystorm 

• Wooden Sword Wielder

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:50 AM

Screw ign KH RULES!!!!

#25 User is offline   Glo 

• Wooden Sword Wielder

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

Some of the tv show reviews are alright.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users